Bayfield Boatyards Sailboat
William Jowett arrived in Bayfield from England in 1833. He purchased much of Bayfield’s shoreline, building a prominent home on the ridge overlooking the waters. Unfortunately, the house was destroyed by a large fire in 1930.
For over 100 years, that same cliff on the river’s north shore has drawn thousands of summer visitors. In the 1860s, crowds would come to picnic and visit the beaches – the beginning of what would become a cottage haven for the region.
The ridge, now known as Jowett’s Grove, had a dance pavilion until the 1950s. Teenagers would line a one-lane bridge to attend dances at the Pavilion on Wednesday and Saturday nights, listening to big bands such as Guy Lombardo. Renovations took place in the 1960s, transitioning the area around the Pavillion to a popular trailer park. Rock bands eventually replaced dance bands, and the area became even more popular.
Although no liquor was legally available in Bayfield then, the Pavilion became a popular spot for the airmen stationed at Clinton Radar School (WWII). Occasionally there were fights between the men in the Air Force and local Bayfield men “protecting their home turf.”
Today, this area is the Harbour Lights subdivision – established in the 1980s.
Represented here is the Bayfield Boatyards Sailboat, built by a Canadian boat builder Bayfield Boat Yard Limited originally based in Bayfield, Ontario, and later in nearby Clinton, Ontario. The company specialized in the design and manufacture of fibreglass sailboats. The company was founded by Ted Gozzard in 1970 and continued in business until a plant fire forced its closure in 1988.